Sunday, March 21, 2010

Kay's "Busy Saturday One Pot Meal" (Vegan)

Yesterday I decided I wanted to make a nice healthy, hearty meal but I was kind of short on time!  I used up some of the ingredients that fill my cupboards and vegetable crisper and this is what I came up with, I hope you try it! 


2 tbsp.  Grapeseed oil
1/2 white onion chopped
1 garlic clove, diced
4 slices of ginger, diced
1 orange pepper
1 sweet red pepper
1/2 zucchini, chopped
1 big can diced tomatoes
1 big can pureed tomatoes
2 cans water
1 1/2 cups Barley
1 19oz. can black beans, rinsed
Dash of dried bay leaf
3 baby bok choy, chopped and white parts removed
1 tsp. Curry paste
1 loaf of nice crusty bread

On medium-high heat, add the grapeseed oil to the pot.  Add the oinions, garlic and ginger and sautee until softened.  Add the orange and red peppers and zucchini, sautee for about 3 minutes. 

Add the tomatoes, water, barley, black beans and dried bay leaf.  Stir until everything is coated.  Bring to a low boil and then reduce the heat down to low-medium and add the baby bok choy and curry power.  Add any other spices you like!

Cover and let simmer for about 30 minutes or until the barley is soft and tender.

Cut a thick slice of bread and put a little bit of Earth Balance butter on it and sprinkle a seasoning of your choice and toast!  I used "Epicure Crab Dip" mix on mine!

Place the toasted bread on the bowl and serve!


No comments:

Post a Comment