Friday, March 5, 2010

Easy Red Velvet Cupcakes

I know there is a huge fuss out there over 'Red Velvet Cake' so I wanted to make some Red Velvet Cupcakes for an upcoming party.  However, I felt I didn't have enough time to make them completely from scratch, so I found a recipe that calls for 'yellow cake mix' and a few extra ingredients.  THIS I had time for! 

I was a little apprehensive over how much red food coloring to add, but, just follow the recipe and you're sure to love to color! 

I also cheated with the 'cream cheese frosting ( I know, I know!).  I didn't have time to make the frosting from scratch, so I bought a jar of it instead and it tastes delicious!  I don't think anyone will even notice!  :-)

INGREDIENTS:

1 (18 1/4 ounce) package yellow cake mix (for a 2 layer cake)
2 tablespoons unsweetened baking cocoa
5 large eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup buttermilk
4tbsp red food coloring
Cream cheese frosting (see recipe below)

CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:  (or you can buy a jar of it in the baking isle!)

1/2 cup of butter (1 stick), room temperature
8 oz of Philly cream cheese (1 package), room temperature
2 - 3 cups of powdered sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract

INSTRUCTIONS:

1.  Set oven to 350 degrees.
2.  Line 24 regular-size muffin tins with paper or foil liners.
3.  In a large bowl beat the cake mix with baking cocoa, eggs, oil, buttermilk and food colouring for about 2 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl occasionally.
4.  Spoon the batter evenly between the muffin tins about two-thirds full.
5.  Bake according to package directions for cupcakes or cake.
6.  Remove from the pans immediately and cool on wire racks.
7.  Spread tops with cream cheese frosting.

Enjoy!!!

1 comment: