Thursday, January 28, 2010

Mile High Coconut Cream Pie


I had never made a pie until December 2009. Since then, I have made several pecan pies and most recently a coconut cream pie! I never would have thought to make a coconut cream pie, until I was speaking with my Mom about how many Pecan Pie's I had made in the last month and I thought it was time to try something else. She suggested making one of her favourites...Coconut Cream!

So, I found a recipe that I thought sounded easy AND delicious...and boy was it ever! I would recommend trying this recipe out! It was AMAZING!

INGREDIENTS:

1 9" deep dish pie crust
2 1/2 cups milk
1 cup flaked sweetened coconut
3/4 cup granulated sugar, divided
1/4 cup cornstarch
2 eggs
2tsp. vanilla
1 cup 35% whipping cream

GARNISH:
2tbsp. toasted flaked sweetened coconut (I used about 4tbsp!)

INSTRUCTIONS:
1.  Bake pie shell according to package or recipe directions. Let cool.
2.  In saucepan, heat milk and coconut over medium heat until steaming. In a large bowl, whisk 1/2 cup sugar with cornstarch; whisk in eggs until blended. Gradually whisk hot milk mixture into egg mixture in a thin, steady stream. Return to saucepan.
3.  Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly for about 10 minutes or until thickened to pudding consistency. Transfer to bowl; stir in vanilla. Place plastic wrap directly on surface; refrigerate until cool.
4.  In a bowl, using electric mixer, whip whipping cream with remaining sugar to form soft peaks. Set 1 1/2 cups whipped cream aside (for the topping). Fold remaining cream into cooled filling; spread into pie shell. 5.  Garnish top with reserved whipping cream (you can use a piping bag with a star tip, or a spoon...I used a flexible spatula). Sprinkle with toasted coconut. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until set, or up to 1 day.

Recipe by: Christine Cushing

No comments:

Post a Comment