Thursday, January 28, 2010

Ham and Scalloped Potatoes (Crock pot)

I love crockery cooking! When I first moved out on my own I soon realized that I was now in charge of cooking for myself 7 days a week.  Eeeek!  I wanted to make sure I didn't get bored of eating the same old stuff  all the time; this is when I  began to look through cook books on Saturday morning's and essentially what sparked my interest in food and cooking.  Eventually, I stumbled upon this Ham and Scalloped Potatoes recipe ...but, I didn't have a crock pot!  So, I borrowed my Mom's (who is a wonderful cook/baker) and decided to give it a shot!  WOW!  It was delicious, easy and everyone loved it.  I wanted to try one more recipe before handing over the crock pot back to my Mom...however, she had a feeling she'd never get it back (don't Mother's know best?), so she went out and bought herself another one and said I was able to keep hers and I've been using it year round ever since!  It's a staple kitchen item in my books!  (I was going to give the crock pot back, for the record).  ;-)

This is a fantastic weeknight meal!  Just a few simple ingredients and yet so flavourful!  Add a side salad or serve with nice buns and that's all there is to it! 


INGREDIENTS:

6-8 slices of ham
8-10 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
2 onions, peeled and thinly sliced
1 cup grated cheddar or American cheese
1 can cream of celery or mushroom soup

DIRECTIONS:

Put half of ham, potatoes and onions in crock pot.  Sprinle with salt and pepper, then grated cheese.  Repeat with remaining hlaf.  Spoon undiluted soup over top.  Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours in crock pot or high for 4 hours. 

**  The photo shows cubed ham, please disregard.  Follow recipe and 'slice' it.

No comments:

Post a Comment